Herring salad with potatoes is for the day after Fasnacht, it is a typical Ash Wednesday dish in Germany. Matjes fillets are a Northern German food specialty. If you can get the German Bismarck Herring, that’s the best. The matjes herring fillets are also good. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Herring Salad with Potatoes
2-3 Matjes herring or Bismarck herring filets (pickled)
2 apples (green)
4 pickles (sour)
500ml heavy cream (or half milk and half yoghurt)
oil, vinegar, salt, pepper to taste
decorate with onion rings, tomatoes and radishes
- Cut herring in small pieces; peel apples and cut in cubes, pickles in cubes as well.
- peel onion and slice it.
- in a bowl mix heavy cream with vinegar and sugar ( should be sweet-sour). Then add oil.
- mix well; spice with salt and pepper; but be careful as the herring contains already salt.
- add all remaining ingredients, mix well and serve after 2 hours.
- Serve with boiled potatoes.