The filled butter cake from Germany is very similiar to the regular butter cake but this cake has a nice yummy filling. The filling is consisting of vanilla pudding and if you have some egg liqueur (Verpoorten), you can add it to the filling - that makes a little difference. If you add some teaspoons of cocoa powder to the pudding you have a nice creamy chocolate filling. You can add some raspberries or apricots into the filling too! There are plenty of variations. Enjoy this cake! Happy Baking!
375 g flour
1 package dry yeast - in Germany: 1 cube - See: All About Yeast
70 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar - How to make Vanilla sugar at Home -
1 pinch salt
200 ml milk, lukewarm
100 g butter, in flakes
75 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
120 g sliced almonds
750 ml milk
80 g sugar
2 packages vanilla pudding - How to make Vanilla Pudding -
Baking Instructions Filled Butter Cake
- make the yeast dough: warm the milk a little bit.
- into a bowl add sugar, vanilla sugar, butter, egg and salt with the milk.
- dissolve the yeast, then mix it with the flour and knead it until you get a smooth dough.
- cover the dough with a kitchen cloth and let raise at a warm place for 40-50 min.
- on a baking board that is sprinkled with flour knead the dough again then roll it on a greased baking tray and with the tip of your finger make little molds in the dough, place butter flakes in each mold.
- mix sugar, almonds and vanilla sugar and sprinkle it on the dough.
- cover and let raise for another 25 min at a warm place.
- pre-heat oven and bake for 25 min on 350 F.
- let the cake cool off completely, cut in 4 pieces of the same size, and then cut them again.
- Make the pudding per instructions, let the pudding cool off a bit before you spread it on one piece, then add the other matching piece on top. Repeat with all pieces.
- Keep the cake for 2 hrs in the fridge or 5-10 min in the freezer.
- Before serving cut the pieces again. If you like you can add a thin layer of powdered sugar on top right before serving.