The German carrot celery salad is great for the barbecue and as a side dish or as part of a mixed salad, together with potato salad and lettuce. This is the recipe of my sister in law, and we had it last night because I am having to be the pleasure to be in Germany right now. Try it out. You will love it. Happy Cooking!
5-6 medium size carrots
1/2 celery root
2 tbsp. crème fraiche
3-4 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. herbs like parsley and chives
- grate carrots and celery root.
- chop the herbs.
- mix the herbs with the crème fraiche, mix it with carrots, add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
Let it stand for 10 minutes before you serve it.
German Lebkuchen hearts are very popular on all German fairs, the Oktoberfest and the Christmas markets. There are booths which sell the hearts with all names and wishes. Unfortunately you cannot buy them here in America but you can make them at home. Decorate them as you like. It is a great gift for birthdays or party favors. Surprise your friends and family with a customized Lebkuchen heart, they will love it. Happy Baking!
Ingredients (makes 25-30 hearts with 14 cm diameter)
300 g butter
775 g honey
17 5g sugar
2 -4 tbsp. lebkuchen spice ( or to taste)
2 tbsp. cocoa (no sugar or spiced)
1800 g flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
3 eggs Frosting: 2 egg white, 400 g powdered sugar
- place butter, honey and sugar in a pot, mix it and warm it until the sugar has dissolved.
- add the spices and cocoa; you should get a smooth dough; then let cool off.
-in a bowl mix flour with baking powder (use a flour sieve), make a small mold and add salt, eggs and honey dough into the mold, knead until you have a firm dough.
- place dough in a bowl, cover it with kitchen cloth or foil and let rest at room temperature for 1/2 to 1 day.
- on a wooden baking board that is sprinkled with flour, next day roll the dough 1cm thick (1/2 inch) and cut out hearts (you need big heart cookie cutters). Take small portions of the dough and roll it, the best heart by heart. You also can make heart templates on a card board and place them on the dough, then cut it out.
- place the hearts on a greased baking tray or layered with baking paper.
- bake them on 350 f for 12 min.
- for the decorative frosting beat egg white with powdered sugar until it is very firm, you can use also add different colors.
Potato Soup from Berlin or Berliner Kartoffelsuppe in German is a great Eintopf (stew) for the fall season. In Germany Eintopf dishes are very popular. Why? They are easy to make and healthy. These Eintopf soups are the best the next day. Well, try it out and you will see. Happy Cooking!
2,5 kg potatoes such as russet or potatoes you would use to make mashed potatoes
1 kg assorted soup veggies (carrots, celery root and leaves, spring onion, leek), frozen or fresh
250 g ham or lean bacon (Speck)
3 small onions
3-5 sausages (Knackwurst or Frankfurter)
3 bay leaves
4 piment seeds or all spice
2 tbsp instant veggie broth ( I only use the one from Rapunzel as it is all natural)
3-5 tbsp chopped parsley
butter as needed
- peel potatoes, cut in small cubes, place in a pot with water (potatoes should be slightly covered), add some salt and bring to a boil.
- in a different pot melt butter and fry the bacon on high heat (if the bacon has a lot of fat don’t use butter).
- peel onions and cut in smaller pieces, add to the bacon and fry them until they are transparent.
- add the frozen vegetable or the chopped fresh vegetable.
- add about 1/2 l water and bring to a boil.
- add bay leaves, all spice, instant broth and 1 tsp black pepper, mix well and let simmer until the potatoes in the other pot and the vegetable is soft.
- when the potatoes are done keep the water, mash the potatoes and add them to the vegetable broth. Also add the potato water to the soup.
- add more water so you have about 5 l soup. The soup should be thick and not to then.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer on low heat for some minutes.
- Cut sausages in 1/2 inch thick slices and add to the soup.
- Finally add chopped parsley and spice with salt and pepper to taste.
You can make this soup the day before and enjoy it the next day. As any “Eintopf” the soup is the best the next day!
Cucumber Salad with dill is a great side dish for many dishes and occassions. Of course it goes well with fish dishes but is also great for the BBQ. It is super easy to make and healthy. No preservatives or sugar or additives. The most American dressings contain far too many additional substances. This … read more …
How to make Homemade vanilla sugar? I received this question quite often and decided to answer it in this article. To make your own vanilla sugar is some good idea especially when living in the USA as this popular German baking ingredient is not available in the main super markets (only in specialty stores). We use vanilla … read more …
German Apple Sauce or Apfelmus is a great side dish for potato pancakes (Reibekuchen) or with Griessbrei (semolina pudding) and it can be used in cakes as well. It is very easy to make and as any home made dish it is all natural. Some brands use preservatives which is mere nonsense. Try it out … read more …
Home made Kroketten is a popular German side dish that you can order in every German restaurant. In the USA I found potato taters but they are not the same as the Kroketten. Basically they are mashed potatoes that will be fried in oil. Here is a recipe for home made Kroketten. Happy Cooking! Ingredients … read more …
Ingredients Biscuit Cake for Fruit 180 g butter 180 g sugar 1 package vanilla sugar Dr Oetker 3 eggs 180g flour 1 tsp baking powder fruit of your choice Baking Instructions – pre-heat oven to 350 – beat soft butter (room temperature) until foamy. – add sugar and vanilla sugar then one egg after the … read more …