German gluten free almond cake or “Torte” is a German baking specialty for a nice traditional Kaffee and Kuchen afternoon. Torte is not exactly a cake as it is mostly made using a butter cream. If you cannot eat products with flour this cake is a wonderful alternative. Easy to make without needing special ingredients. If you cannot get blanched almond slices find them here: Sincerely Nuts Blanched Almonds Sliced 1 LB
6 eggs (medium)
150 g heavy cream
150 g sugar
225 g powdered sugar
225 ground almonds (almond meal)
20 g almond slices (preferably blanched)
100 g soft butter
- separate eggs.
- in a pan bring heavy cream and sugar to a brisk boil, let cool off a bit, then add egg yolks, beat thoroughly while adding the egg yolks.
- heat the cream until you have a thick cream – don’t bring to a boil!
- cover surface right away with plastic foil.
- beat egg white until firm, add powdered sugar while beating.
- add ground almonds.
- layer a spring form (diameter 26cm) with baking paper, place dough on top and bake for 10 min on 150 C or 300F convection (175 C or 350F)
- let cool of fin the form.
- Roast almond slices in a pan without adding grease until golden.
- Beat soft butter until creamy, then add egg cream spoon by spoon.
- Remove cake from the form and place on a platter.
- Spread egg cream on top and add some almond slices and powdered sugar before serving.
Cake must be chilled for about 1 hour or until the cream is firm.