Here is a super easy German fruit cake that can be made within minutes. We call it in German a Tortenboden or belegter Obstkuchen. You don't have to be a master baker - it is really that easy. I found this recipe and thought I have to try this one because I was not into heavy baking that day and I never used oil for such a base cake. And what do you say? It tasted more than good! I will use this recipe from now on all the time for a summer fruit cake as we make them in Germany with fresh fruit.
6 tbsp sunflower oil
6 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
fruit of your choice (strawberries, blueberries, bananas, sour cherries, canned mandarins, canned pears or peaches)
1 package red glaze Dr Oetker
- mix eggs with sugar and beat until foamy.
- mix flour with baking powder.
- add oil spoon by spoon to the eggs, then sieve flour.
- mix well.
- pour dough into a German spring form for base cake, diameter 11 inches.
- bake in pre-heated oven on 375 F for about 5-10 min. The cake is done when no dough sticks on a tooth pic that has been poked into the dough. It should have a light golden-brown color.
- when cake is done let it cool off, then place it onto a big enough plate (upside down).
- cut the fruit in half or smaller such as strawberries and place it on top of the cake.
- make the glaze per instructions and pour it over the fruit. Let cool off.