500 g flour
1/4 liter luke warm milk, regular
1 package dry yeast
80 g butter, very soft
50 g sugar
1 dash salt
zest of 1/2 lemon
200 g hazelnuts (100 g chopped, 100 g grated)
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa, unsweetened
5 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
Baking Instructions Sweet Braided Nut Bread
- For raising the dough pre-heat oven to 100F or 40°C - optional.
- Make the pre-dough out of flour, milk, yeast, salt, sugar and zest. Use the mixer with kneading hooks. Mix well then add butter. Mix until the dough can be easily removed from the bow.
- Use a spatula and remove it from bowl, place on a floured baking board. Knead until you get a round ball.
- Add some flour into a bowl, transfer dough into bowl. Cover with kitchen cloth.
- Let raise for 30 min at a warm place or when using the oven: turn off oven, place dough on the lowest rack and let raise 15 min.
Make the Filling
- Mix all ingredients for the filling. Add as much milk to get a slightly thick batter, it should be easy to spread the filling. Mix well.
- On a floured baking board roll the dough to 50x40 cm (20 inches).
- Place the filling in little heaps on the dough and with a spatula spread it evenly.
- Roll the dough very tightly starting with the longer side.
- Cut the roll lengthwise in half until to the middle.
- Place it on a baking tray layered with parchment paper.
Sieve powdered sugar, mix with lemon juice and a bit of water smooth until you get a slightly thickened liquid.
When the Hefezopf is done spread the glaze over it while bread is still hot. Let cool off before you cut it.
Recipe of a German Hefezopf - it is in German but you can see at the end how she braids the bread.