The German Coffee Honey Cake is easy to make and tastes wonderful when you spread butter on the slices. That's the way Germans enjoy the Dutch honey cake which is a similiar cake. TIP: If you turn the raisins in flour before you add them to the dough they will not sink down to the bottom of the cake. Happy Baking!
40 g raisins
2 tbsp chopped orangeat (candied orange peel)
2 Tbsp dark rum
350 g flour
3 tsp instant coffee
2 tsp instant cocoa powder
3 tbsp sun flower oil (or any taste neutral oil)
150 g liquid honey
75 g sugar
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp backing powder Dr Oetker
1/4 tsp natron (baking soda)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 point of a knife ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
almond slices (blanched)
butter and natural, un-spiced bread crumbs for the form
- drip rum on raisins and let them soak for 30 min.
- separate eggs; beat egg yolks until foamy.
- boil 1 tbsp water, mix it with instant coffee and cocoa, add oil, honey, sugar and lemon zest.
- mix flour with baking powder, natron and all spices, sieve it and add to the dough. Mix well. Then add raisins and orangat.
- Beat egg white until firm and gently mix it with dough.
- grease a pound cake form and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- fill in dough and sprinkle with almond slices.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 75 min on 375 F.
when done let cool off briefly then place it on a baking grid.