The best German apple cake is called “versunkener Apfelkuchen” in German. Versunken means sunken and the apples sink into the dough. It is a very easy recipe that you will love. It tastes great with a cup of coffee and is an ideal “Kaffee and Kuchen” Cake for Sunday. Happy Baking!
Ingredients in cups
- 3 – 5 apples
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs (small-medium)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- powdered sugar for dusting
- bread crumbs for the form
Ingredients in grams
600 g apples – equals 3-5 depending on size
150 g butter
180 g flour
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1 pinch salt
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 package vanilla sugar Dr Oetker
1/2 package baking powder Dr Oetker
2 tbsp lemon juice or lemon flavor
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150 g sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Grease bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring form pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Peel the apples, then cut them in half, then quarters and remove cores. Cut thin slices in every quarter many times without cutting all the way through. Do this just before you place them on the cake or the apples will get brown but if you sprinkle them with lemon juice they won’t. You also can use apple halves only.
- Beat the soft butter, sugar, eggs and lemon juice until you get a creamy dough.
- Sieve the flour, mix it first with the baking powder, and salt. Stir into dough alternately with the milk.
- Pour batter into the spring form. Arrange the apple halves on top.
- Bake it for 50 to 55 min on 350 F – do the test: take a tooth pick and insert it to the center; when it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Let cake cool off then remove from form.
- Dust it with powdered sugar just before serving.