The Bohemian Poppy seed Strudel or "Striezel" is a German baking specialty that comes from the Polish and Silesian cuisine but also from the Austrian part when it used to be Germany. If you want a "Striezel" you would braid the dough, if you roll it, it is a Strudel. It is made out of a sweet yeast dough and is rolled to a Strudel or braided. On top you can add Streusel and a glaze or just add the glaze alone. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Bohemian Poppy Seed Strudel
500 g flour
30 g fresh yeast or 1 pk dry yeast
1/8 l milk
80 g sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp lemon zest
125 g butter
300 g poppy seeds (optional: you can grind them a little)
400 ml milk
1 pk vanilla pudding Dr Oetker - How to make Vanilla Pudding -
75 g sugar
65 g zwieback (optional); you also can use roughly grated toasted white bread
100 g flour
100 g almonds, sliced
100 g sugar
4 tbsp apricot jam
1 tbsp water, warm
100 g powdered sugar
2 tbsp water, warm
Baking Instructions Bohemian Poppy Seed Strudel
- Place flour into a bowl, make a mold, fill in the yeast that had been mixed with some luke warm milk. - Add some flour and sugar and mix it - this is the pre-dough.
- At a warm location let it raise for 15 min, then add remaining milk, sugar, salt, egg, lemon zest and grated butter.
- Knead until you get a smooth dough.
- At a warm place let it raise covered (kitchen cloth) for 30 min.
- Bring milk with poppy seeds to a brisk boil, take off from stove and let soak for 10 min.
- Mix pudding powder with milk, add to poppy seeds with eggs and sugar. Bring to a boil while stirring , then let cool off.
- Place Zwieback or toasted bread into a freezing bag, close it then smash it with a dough roller; add to poppy dough.
- Layer a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Dust the baking board with flower and knead briefly the dough, then roll to a rectangular piece (40x30cm).
- Spread poppy filling onto the dough, leave edges free of filling (about 1cm).
- roll dough from the longer side and place on baking tray.
- mix all ingredients, butter must be soft, then crumble dough to Streusel of desired size.
- Brush Striezel with some water and spread Streusel all over it, press them gently on the Striezels surface.
- Let Striezel raise until size has visible changed.
- Meanwhile pre-heat oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Bake Striezel on the lower section of the oven for about 55 minutes.
- Now mix jam with water while stirring until it has thickened.
- When Striezel is done spread jam immediately on top of the Striezel, let cool off.
- Glaze: Mix powdered sugar with water and spread on top. Let is become firm before you serve it.