Enjoy this old fashioned recipe for Bavarian apple dumplings. This German-Bavarian dish is served with vanilla sauce or a mix of cinnamon and sugar. The dumplings are made out of a yeast dough and apples. just right for an Oktoberfest or just to wake up the German memories about real good food. Happy Baking!
Ingredients Bavarian Apple Dumplings
500 g flour
30 g yeast (fresh) - substitute fresh yeast with approx half the amount of dried yeast
or 1 package dry yeast
100 g sugar
1/4 liter warm milk
1/2 tsp salt
Baking Instructions Bavarian Apple Dumplings
- Put the flour in a bowl and make a mold in the middle, place the yeast into the mold and make a pre-dough with 1 tbsp sugar and some warm milk. Mix it well, powder some flour on top and let it rise at a warm place; cover the bowl with a kitchen towel. The dough is good when the amount has doubled.
- Mix dough with some flour and the remaining ingredients and knead it until it peels of from the edge of the bowl.
- Let it rise again, covered and at a warm place.
- Knead dough again and separate it in 12 pieces, form each piece into a ball.
- Again let it rest for some minutes, then make it flat and place apple pieces in the middle, cover it with dough.
- Place balls on a baking tray (use parchment paper or grease it), and let it rise again.
- Bake it in the oven on 350 F for 10-15 minutes (test it by sticking a tooth pick into the dumplings; should some dough stick on the tooth pick the dumplings re not done).
- Sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
Serve them warm with vanilla sauce. Find out - How to Make Vanilla Sauce -
Source: Recipe from TopTeam Aschau on FB