Franconian Potato Dumplings or Fraenkische Kartoffelknoedel in German is a regional German recipe that it been used in the restaurant Jagstmuehle in Germany - Go to the website - To make Potato dumplings you need some time, it is not a fast food recipe. Important in this recipe is that you use raw and boiled potatoes. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients (serves 4 ) Franconican Potato Dumplings
15 medium sized potatoes (russet or any potatoes that are not waxy)
5 tbsp potato starch
200 ml milk
nutmeg, salt, white pepper
1tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp marjoram (optional)
for the filling: 1-2 buns or white bread
60 g Butter
Cooking Instructions Franconian Potato Dumplings
- boil 5 potatoes, peel and let cool off. Peel 10 potatoes and grate them into cold vinegar water (use white wine vinegar).
- the grated potatoes must be drained in a clean kitchen cloth; keep the water and let it sit for 30 min. You will see that the potato starch will be on the bottom of the water. You would need that starch later.
- place raw potatoes into a bowl; bring milk to a boil and pour over potatoes.
- carefully pour out the water and keep the starch; add it to the potatoes.
- press boiled potatoes through a potato press or mash them very well; add to raw potatoes.
- add the starch and spice very well.
- The dough should be moist so it won't stick at the bowl's edges anymore. Keep in mind that you want to form Knoedel out of it.
- cut buns or bread into small cubes and fry it in some butter; add chopped parsley (and marjoram)
- Form Knoedel and place some of the bread herb filling into the middle. Some use "Backerbsen" for the filling; others use dark bread or croutons.
Find Backerbsen here Leimer Backerbsen / Soup Pearls ( 200 g )
- let the Knoedel rest a bit at room temperature (optional).
- Bring enough water in a big pot with some salt and some starch to a boil, then reduce heat, place Knoedel into the water and let them in the water on low temperature for about 20 minutes. They are done when they float at the surface. Drain them.
Serve them with your favorite gravy meat dish such as pot roast or Goulash.
What to do with Leftovers?
Fry them in butter until they have a nice brown crust all around.
photo credit Kochbar.de