The German Apple bread is a nice alternative to fruit bread, it does not contain eggs. Happy Baking!
750 g apples or 4 big apples
200 g sugar (or 250 if you like it more sweet)
250 g raisins or cranberries
150 g whole almonds
500 g flour
1.5 packages baking powder (Dr Oetker)
1 tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
1 tbsp. dark rum (optional)
cinnamon and ground cloves to taste
- peel apples, remove core, grate them fine.
- mix apples with sugar and let rest for 4-6 hours or overnight in a covered bowl over night.
- add all remaining ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until you get a thick dough.
- layer a pound cake form with parchment paper and fill in dough.
- bake in pre-heated oven on 180 C or 350 F for 1 1/4 or up to 1.30 hours. Do the test: use a knife and stick it into the bread, If dough is sticking on the knife it is not done.
Serve with butter, honey or jam.