Delicious German apple cake with quark for the holidays. Quark or in English curd cheese is easy to make – see the link how to make quark – or you can make a mix out of sour cream and cream cheese. Go to the page to learn more about quark: recipe: How to make quark – Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Apple Cake
1 pinch salt
1/2 tsp baking powder (see below)
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg yolk
125 g cold butter
2 tbsp raisins, 2 tbsp brown rum
700 g light sour apples
1 package Vanilla Sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
350 g quark (low fat) – Apple Farms Low Fat Quark ( 454g/16oz)
1 package vanilla pudding Dr. Oetker – Dr. Oetker Vanilla Pudding 3 Pack
125 g creme fraiche (see also below) – Creme Fraiche by Double Devon – Strawberry (6 ounce)
butter to grease the form, powdered sugar
Baking Instructions German Apple Cake
- Mix flour with salt, baking powder, egg yolk, sugar and butter (cut into small pieces) until you get a smooth dough. Knead it very well. Form to a ball, wrap in foil and let it rest for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Place raisins in a bowl and mix them with rum.
- Peel apples, remove core, cut in half and with a sharp knife cut them length-wise.
- Mix lemon juice with cinnamon and drip onto the apples.
- Separate eggs, beat egg white until very firm.
- Mix yolks with sugar, quark, pudding powder and creme fraiche; then add carefully firm egg white.
- Heat oven on 350 F (200 C).
- Grease baking form; roll the dough and place it into the form.
- Bake it for 12 minutes.
- Pour filling on the baked cake, place raisins on kitchen paper so they are dry; place apple halves on top together with raisins.
- Bake it for about 45-60 minutes ( do the tooth pick test!) – let it cool off on a baking rack and dust it with powdered sugar.