Wonderful German cabbage soup for a cold winter's day. Cabbage is a popular winter vegetable in Germany and can be used for many German recipes such as the German cabbage soup with heavy cream. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Cabbage Soup
1kg white cabbage
60 g butter
80 g bacon cubes (Speck cubes)
1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp caraway seeds
200 ml dry white wine
1 l vegetable broth
200 ml heavy cream
2-3 potatoes medium size
4 slices farmers bread or baguette bread
5 tbsp chopped chives
Cooking Instructions German Cabbage Soup
- Cut cabbage in quarters, remove hard parts and cut it in 1 inch wide stripes.
- Heat butter, add speck, sugar and caraway seeds with cabbage and saute it until transparent.
- Fill up with wine, broth and heavy cream, spice with salt and pepper.
- Peel potatoes and grate them, mix into soup, cover with a lid and let it simmer for 25 minutes.
- Cut bread into small cubes and fry it in a skillet in 1 tsp of butter until golden colored.
- Cut chives in small pieces and when soup is done sprinkle over soup on top of croutons.