This German carrot cake is not only a great cake for Easter. The German recipe includes how to make a glaze and even how to make the carrot decoration out of marzipan. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Carrot Cake
250 g carrots
300 g sugar
1 sachet Lemon Zest from Dr Oetker (or some lemon juice will be fine too)
75 g flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp bread crumbs (without spices, herbs)
1 tbsp butter
150 g ground hazelnuts
150 g ground walnuts
200 g powdered sugar
3 tbsp hot water
200 g marzipan (raw)
200 g powdered sugar, red and green eatable color
Baking Instructions Carrot Cake
- Grate carrots finely: separate eggs; beat yolk with sugar until foamy; add lemon zest or juice; add flour and baking powder.
- Mix dough very well; add carrots and nuts.
- Beat egg white until firm and mix it with the dough.
- Grease a 26cm diameter spring form with butter and bread crumbs, and fill in the dough; spread the surface evenly.
- Bake it in pre-heated oven on 200 degrees C for about 55 minutes (lowest level).
- Take out the cake and let it cool off.
- Mix powdered sugar with hot water and spread it evenly over the cake.
- Knead marzipan with powdered sugar and color 2/3 with red, the remaining part with green color. Form 12 carrots out of the red marzipan, and use the green one for the carrot greenery. Place them on the cake.