German Chicken Recipes: Fricassee - Have you ever heard of Fricassee? In Germany we cook this dish with chicken. But here is more about it:
This German chicken recipe is a stewed dish typically made with poultry, but other types of white meat (like veal, rabbit, or Cornish game hen) can be substituted. It is cut into pieces and then stewed in gravy, which is then thickened with butter and cream or milk so it makes a white gravy. I like to add green and white asparagus, mushrooms and sometimes green peas. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Chicken Recipes Fricassee (serves 4-5)
fresh or frozen chicken (weight 1-3 pounds)
1/2 celery root, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 1 leek
2 bay leaves
2 liter purified water
For the Fricassee
100 g butter
3 tbsp flour
1 small jar white asparagus, whole or in pieces, 10 thin green asparagus, frozen or jar
frozen peas (or fresh)
2 small cans mushrooms
2 egg yolks
100 ml heavy cream
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
Cooking Instructions German Chicken Recipes Fricassee
- wash the chicken, dry it and put it a pan that is big enough for 2-3 liter liquid
- add 2 liter cold water and bring it to a boil.
- cut celery root in cubes, cut carrots in 2-3 pieces.
- add the celery, the root, carrots, bay leaves to the broth.
- cut the onion in 2 pieces, in every piece stick a clove, add it to the soup.
- let it simmer for 1-2 hours or until chicken meat is tender.
- take the cooked chicken out of the broth, drain it through a a sieve. Keep 1 liter for the fricassee.
- Remove all the nice looking meat from the bones (don't use the skin, or dark brown pieces); cut bigger pieces into smaller pieces.
- Drain mushrooms and asparagus. If you use frozen asparagus break the frozen asparagus in small pieces.
- Add butter in an extra pan and on reduced heat, mix in the flour while stirring until the flour has a golden yellow color.
The butter should not become brown.
- Very slowly add the chicken broth, first a little bit, then more and more while whisking it. You want to avoid clumping.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes on low heat while stirring frequently.
- Add chicken meat, asparagus, peas and mushrooms to the sauce.
- Now add the yolk into the milk, and mix it carefully into the fricassee mix.
Important: The sauce should not be boiling hot. Let it cool off a bit before adding the yolk/milk mix, and don't bring it to a boil again.
- Squeeze the lemon and and add the juice to the sauce. Spice it with salt and pepper and nutmeg to taste. You can also add aditional lemon juice if you think it needs more. You should taste the juice a bit.
Classic side dish: white rice.
Keep the remaining broth, this makes a delicious soup: Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to the broth.
Boil water and add thin soup pasta or pasta of your choice (you can also boil dried tortellini, boil them and add them to the broth), boil them for 3-4 minutes, filter them and add it to the broth.
Add fresh chopped parsley.
- Don't use instant broth for the fricassee.
- Don't use packaged broth.
You also can use chicken legs and wings or some chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken.