German Chicken Recipes: Fricassee – Have you ever heard of Fricassee? In Germany we cook this dish with chicken. But here is more about it:
This German chicken recipe is a stewed dish typically made with poultry, but other types of white meat (like veal, rabbit, or Cornish game hen) can be substituted. It is cut into pieces and then stewed in gravy, which is then thickened with butter and cream or milk (white gravy).
Greek fricassee is often made with pork and usually contains either wild green herbs or lettuce, or both; the gravy is thickened with beaten eggs just before serving.
A Cajun fricassee is any type of meat or seafood stewed in a gravy made with a dark roux, usually the color of milk chocolate. As in most Cajun dishes, it also contains onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic, and is served over rice. So it is quite an all rounder recipe which you can vary with different meats. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Chicken Recipes Fricassee (serves 4-5)
fresh or frozen chicken (weight 1-3 pounds)
1 small bundle celery leaves and 3 slices of celery root, 2 carrots
2 laurel leaves
2 Liter spring or purified water
For the Fricassee
60 gr butter
70 gr flour
1 small can asparagus pieces
frozen peas (or fresh)
500 gr white mushrooms
4 tablespoon milk
Cooking Instructions German Chicken Recipes Fricassee
- wash the chicken, dry it and put it a pot
- add 2 Liter water and bring it to a boil
- cut celery root in cubes
- add the celery leaves, celery root, and laurel leave
- cut the onion in 2 pieces, in every piece stick a clove, add it to the soup
- let it simmer for 1-2 hours until chicken meat is tender
- take the cooked chicken out of the broth, filter the broth (use a sieve or a kitchen cloth, you would need 1 liter of broth for the fricassee.
- Remove meat from the bones (don’t use the skin) and cut big pieces into smaller pieces.
- Wash mushrooms and slice them into 2 pieces.
- Steam mushrooms for 4 minutes in a pan; don’t add water, if they are still wet, that would be enough water to steam them, stir while they are cooking.
- Add butter in an extra pan and on reduced heat, mix in the flour until you see a yellow color. Don’t let the butter become brown!
- Very slowly add the chicken broth, use an egg beater so you won’t get any clumps.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes on low heat while stirring all the time.
- Add chicken meat, asparagus, peas and mushrooms to the sauce.
- Now add the yolk into the milk, and mix it carefully into the fricassee mix.
Attention: The sauce should not be boiling hot. Let it cool off a bit before adding the yolk/milk mix.
- Squeeze the lemon and and add the juice to the sauce. Spice it with salt and pepper, and if you like with some nutmeg.
Serve it with steamed rice and carrots, and a green salad. Guten Appetit!
Keep the remaining broth, this makes a delicious soup: Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to the broth
Boil water and add thin soup pasta or pasta of your choice (you can also boil dried tortellini, boil them and add them to the broth), boil them for 3-4 minutes, filter them and add it to the broth.
Yummy with fresh parsley!
- Don’t use instant broth (powder) for this recipe, it would ruin it.
- Don’t use already made container broth (result same as above).