Ingredients (50 pieces) German Christmas Cookies
125 g soft butter
75 g powdered sugar
2 vanilla beans
5 egg yolks
1 tbsp grated orange peel (organic)
275 g flour
1 point of a knife baking powder
100 g poppy seed filling (Mohnback) – find here German poppy seed filling
45 apricot jam
1 tbsp cinnamon
100 g almonds ground
45 mixed peel or orangeat (candied peel) – How to make it – or Buy it: Candied Orange Peel, Diced, 8 oz.
50 g almond slices
Baking Instructions German Christmas Cookies
- Mix butter, powdered sugar and 2 egg yolks with the hand mixer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add vanilla seeds and orange peel, mix it, sieve flour and baking powder on top, mix it and knead it with the hands to a smooth dough; form a ball and wrap it in foil; keep in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Mix poppy-seed filling, apricot jam, cinnamon, orangeat with 1 egg yolk.
- On a baking board with flour roll the dough 1/2cm thick; cut round cookies (preferably the edges are wavy) one after the other without any distance in between, and place them on a baking tray (layered with baking paper).
- Work fast so that dough won’t get to soft; you can place the dough into the freezer if you need more time.
- Beat remaining egg yolk and brush it on the cookies: Place some almond slices in the middle and carefully brush them with egg yolk.
- Form little balls (50) out of the poppy seeds and place them in the middle on the almond slices.
- Bake them in preheated oven for 8 minutes on 190 C or 375 F; let them cool off on grids.