The German egg salad sandwich is a classic German bread spread recipe. As you may know the sandwiches in Germany are a bit different. The classic version is a piece of bread or half of a roll plus a spread such as egg salad on top.If the spread is just butter we call it "Butterbrot". If we place cheese on top we call it "Kaesebrot". Of course you can place the bread halves together if you like but when you order a "Schinkenbrot" (ham sandwich) in Germany you get it all served on one slice. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients (serves 4) German Egg Salad Sandwich
4 tbsp mayonnaise
mustard (preferably German) to taste
4 tbsp chives
1 tbsp sunflower oil
salt and pepper to taste, hint of nutmeg
4 slices German rye bread or 2 rolls cut in halves (or your favorite bread)
- boil eggs, rinse them briefly under cold water, peel them.
- chop them fine, if you like you can mash them with a fork.
- add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- spread butter on bread or rolls and place the egg salad on top.
- Vary it with pickles, cucumber or cooked ham.