The German Goulash Stew with Dumplings - in German "Gulasch" - is an easy German recipe that you will love. The dumplings are not as big as usual because they will be in the stew. So make them smaller than the regular dumplings. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Goulash Stew
750 g onions
2 garlic cloves (optional)
1 medium size green and red pepper
1 kg beef stew
100 g bacon (Speck)
3 tbsp oil
salt, pepper, sweet Hungarian paprika powder
4 tbsp flour
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 l dry red wine
1 package dumplings half and half (for 12 dumplings) or make your own dumplings - Click here for the recipe -
150 g creme fraiche
fresh ground nutmeg, 5 sprigs of thyme
Cooking Instructions German Goulash Stew
- Peel onions and garlic, chop finely. Cut pepper in smaller cubes.
- Wash meat, pat it dry and cut in cubes if not cut already.
- Cut Speck in cubes.
- Heat oil in a skillet, brown meat in portions (not at once) briskly, add salt and pepper; take out of skillet, in same skillet add onions, pepper, garlic, bacon and half of the thyme.
- Add meat, paprika and dust with flour.
- Fill 1 l water and add red wine, bring to a boil, then let it simmer for 1 hour.
- Mix dumplings powder with 600 ml water, add creme fraiche, add salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Form about 40 little dumplings.
- Bring water with salt to a boil, add dumplings and let them in the water for about 20 minutes.
- Chop remaining thyme, leave some leaves for decoration.
- Drain dumplings, add thyme to the stew, add salt, pepper if necessary.
- Place dumplings in a bowl or soup plate and fill up with the stew. Sprinkle with thyme leaves.