German Lentil stew with Spaetzle is a Swabian dish that is being served in almost every Swabian “Gasthaus or Gasthof” (Gasthaus is a local restaurant with local specialties and home cooking such as “Gasthaus Krone” or “Gasthof Baeren” ). You can make the Spaetzle or get them dried from German manufacturer Bechtle, they are the best ones. Spaetzle are a sort of pasta, some call them dumplings but they are special noodles used as side dish or in soups or stews such as the German lentil stew. Happy Cooking
Recipe how to make Spaetzle
Ingredients German Lentil stew with Spaetzle
250 g lentils (dry)
1 bundle soup greenery (1 carrot, celery, some parsley or parsley root, celery root, 1 leek)
50 g German Speck or Smoked Bacon
1 tbsp cooking oil (neutral oil)
1 cube or instant beef broth (Maggi or Knorr or any natural beef stock)
200 g Spaetzle
150 g Kassler or Wiener Sausage
Cooking Instructions German Lentil Stew with Spaetzle
1. Soak the lentils for at least 6 hours or overnight in cold water; drain them, wash under running water, let them drip.
2. Wash soup greenery; cut carrots and celery root in cubes, cut leek in slices. Cut Speck in cubes and fry it together with the greenery in the oil.
3. Add 1 l water and bring it to a boil; add instant soup cube and lentils and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
4. 7-8 minutes before the lentils are done, add the dried Spaetzle, and let them cook until they are soft. If you make them they only need 2-3 minutes with the lentils.
4. Cut Kassler or sausages in slices or cubes and add them before the stew is done. Sprinkle chopped parsley over the stew before serving hot with fresh bread.