The German liver dumpling soup is a Bavarian Specialty and called in German "Leberknoedelsuppe". Knoedel is a dumpling and Leber is liver. If you travel to Bavaria one day, don't forget to try one; you can get this soup in almost every Gasthaus. The home made recipe's base is a beef broth, as described in one of my former recipes. In Germany you can buy the Leberknoedel also in cans or frozen - find them in the USA - Happy Cooking!
Ingredients (for 8 portions) German Liver Dumpling Soup
2 l beef broth - click here to go to the recipe Beef Broth -
750 g beef liver
300 g beef
8 older buns
fresh herbs, parsley, chives, estragon, thyme, liebstoeckel
salt, pepper, nutmeg
Cooking Instructions German Liver Dumpling Soup
- Bring the broth in a bigger pot to a boil
- Run the beef and liver through a meat grinder
- Soak the buns in luke warm water
- Peel onions and chop them fine; wash herbs and chop them too
- Add the meat into a bowl and mix it with onions, herbs and eggs
- Squeeze the water out of the buns and mix it under the meat
- Add spices
- With wet hands form dumplings, not too big, and with a foam spoon put them into the boiling hot broth, reduce heat; let them stand for 15 minutes. Don't bring the broth to a boil anymore otherwise the dumplings will fall apart.
Serve the soup with some sprinkled parsley on top, and fresh bread.