The German liver dumpling soup is a Bavarian Specialty and called in German "Leberknoedelsuppe". Knoedel is a dumpling and Leber is liver. If you travel to Bavaria one day, don't forget to try one; you can get this soup in almost every Gasthaus. The home made recipe's base is a beef broth, as described in one of my former recipes. In Germany you can buy the Leberknoedel in cans or frozen - find them in the USA - Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Liver Dumpling Soup
2 l beef broth - Find the recipe for Beef Broth -
750 g beef liver
300 g beef
8 older rolls (preferably German rolls)
fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, tarragon, thyme, lovage (liebstoeckel)
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
Cooking Instructions German Liver Dumpling Soup
- Bring the broth in a bigger pot to a boil. You can use also organic instant beef broth.
- Run the beef and liver through a meat grinder.
- Soak the buns in warm water.
- Peel onions and chop them fine; wash herbs and chop them too.
- Add the meat into a bowl and mix it with onions, herbs and eggs.
- Squeeze the water thoroughly out of the buns, mix it with the meat.
- Add spices to taste.
- With moist hands form dumplings, not too big, with a foam spoon put them into the boiling hot broth, reduce heat.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Important: Don't bring the broth to a boil anymore otherwise the dumplings will fall apart.
Serve the soup with some sprinkled parsley on top.