German mashed potatoes are a classic side dish for all meat dishes with gravy such as Goulash, beef Rouladen, and are a great combination with fried liver, meat loaf and Bratwurst. Home made mashed potatoes are the best. Forget the ones out of the package. Even the all natural potato flakes that I tried are not comparable with the home made mashed potatoes. You just have to peel potatoes. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Mashed Potatoes (serves 4)
1kg potatoes (floury potatoes)
salt, 40 g butter
1/4 l hot milk
1 egg yolk (optional)
Cooking Instructions German Mashed Potatoes
- peel potatoes and cut them into thicker cubes
- bring milk with butter, salt and nutmeg to a brisk boil.
- drain potatoes and squeeze them through a potato press or use a stick mixer.
- pour milk to the potatoes and mix thoroughly.
- when the potatoes had cooled of a bit add the egg yolk.
Serve right away, don’t wait. Mashed potatoes are the best when hot.