German Onion Tart or “Zwiebelkuchen” is a popular dish of the South, a local specialty, and is often served with new wine in October. The new wine is called “Suesser” or “Sauser” (in the Rhineland Federweisser) and in the region around Freiburg in the Black Forest you can enjoy the German onion tart with the wine in a so called “Besenwirtschaft”. It is a little pub that mostly is producing its own wine and is allowed to serve it with some little snacks such as the German onion tart or an French specialty called “Flammkuchen” (thin tart with bacon, onion and a creamy topping). Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Onion Tart
For the dough
250 g flour
20 g yeast (fresh cube or dry)
1 pinch sugar
1/8 l milk, 1 egg
50 g soft butter
For the Topping
1 kg onions
5 tbsp oil
50 g smoked bacon (Speck)
200 g sour cream
sweet paprika powder
fresh ground pepper
Cooking Instructions German Onion Tart
1. To make the dough sieve the flour into a bowl and in the middle create a cavity in which you place the
yeast. Sprinkle the sugar over the yeast, warm the milk, pour it over the yeast, then stir it to a dough. Cover the bowl with a kitchen cloth and let it rest at a warm place for 30 minutes.
2. Then add the egg, the butter and some salt, and knead it to a smooth dough. Form a ball and let it rest covered for another 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile peel onions and cut them in very thin slices.
4. In a skillet heat the oil and fry the onion rings in low heat until transparent. Cut bacon in small cubes and add it to the onions, fry it for another 2 minutes.
5. Mix the onion-bacon mix with the sour cream, spice it with caraway seeds, paprika and pepper.
6. Sprinkle some flour on a wooden surface (baking board) and roll the dough to the size of the baking tray; place it on the greased tray, press is lightly and with a fork stab is several times; let it rise for another 30 minutes.
7. Spread the onion mixture evenly over the dough and bake it in the pore-heated oven for 45 minutes on 200 degrees C.
Enjoy it with a glass of chilled white wine.
Start your EXCLUSIVE Recipe Collection now! SUBSCRIBE to our newsletter here