German Sauerkraut Soup – A very simple and easy to make soup; the right soup for cold evenings in fall or winter. Sauerkraut has a lot of Vitamin C and is the typical German winter season vegetable. Combined with Kassler, a German specialty, smoked pork chop, it is a main dish and tastes great with fresh bread. Happy Cooking!
1 medium sized onion
20 butter oil (ghee)
1 egg yolk
1 can Sauerkraut, ready cooked, 480g
1/2 l broth
200 Kassler (no bones), this is German smoked ham
200 ml heavy cream
salt, fresh black pepper
caraway seeds, 1/2 bunch parsley
- Peel onion and chop it fine; fry them in the butter oil until transparent.
- Chop Sauerkraut coarsely and add it to the onions.
- Add broth and let it cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Cut Kassler in fine stripes , add them to the soup and let it in the soup for 3 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk and mix it with the cream.
- While steering mix it into the soup; don’t let the soup boil again other wise the egg yolk will became flaky.
- Spice it with salt and pepper, add caraway seeds and the chopped parsley. Decorate it with some parsley.