The German Waldorf salad is a great German salad as a side dish or appetizer. The combination of apples and celery is just nice. It is a famous recipe that originally came from America but has found many fans in Germany as well.
The celery root is an interesting vegetable and is being used a lot in the German kitchen. We add it to the broths and you can make salads and little burgers out of it. It has an interesting taste, somehow a nutty taste. The celery root can be combined with apples, walnuts, or lettuce which is a variation of the famous Waldorf Salad.
Ingredients German Waldorf Salad
1 medium sized celery root (also called celeriac)
1 large apple or 2 smaller ones, red and not too sweet
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup fresh made or real mayonnaise
100ml apple vinegar
50 g walnuts (chopped)
salt, black pepper
- Peel apple, cut out core and cut is in 1/4 inch (or thinner) slices
- Peel the celery root and grate it with a grater or boil it for 3 minutes in salt water, then filter it
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream apple vinegar, dill, parsley, salt and black pepper (in a large salad bowl)
- Add grates celery to the dressing and mix it gently - let it rest for 20-30 minutes
- Add apple slices and the walnuts; decorate with 1-2 whole walnuts and parsley
Drip some lemon juice over the apples; this prevents them from becoming brown.