This Tortellini vegetable casserole is not really a typical German recipe but the style is definitely German. This is one of my favorite casseroles because I love tortellini and vegetable. You can vary this dish with different vegetables like carrots, peas, cauliflower, or asparagus. You may vary it with different cheeses too. It actually does not need a side dish but tastes delicious with lettuce or any greens. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Tortellini Vegetable Casserole
1 medium size onion
1/2 green pepper, 1/2 orange pepper (or red)
1 small zucchini
1 tbsp olive oil or clarified butter
salt, fresh ground black pepper to taste
12 oz or 340 g dried tortellini
1 cup grated cheese (Gouda, pepper jack, cheddar or any firm cheese)
about 1/2 cup heavy cream
Cooking Instructions Tortellini Vegetable Casserole
- bring water with some salt to a boil and cook tortellini per instructions.
- cut onions and pepper in small cubes, cut zucchini in half and slice it.
- wash broccoli and cut of the upper parts.
- in a skillet heat olive oil, then add onions until transparent.
- add chopped pepper, zucchini, broccoli and saute it for about 5-10 minutes (not too long as the vegetable should not get too soft).
- spice vegetable with salt and pepper.
- place the vegetable mix into an oven proof form, when tortellini are done ad them to the mix and stir gently.
- beat the egg and mix it with heavy cream and 2/3 of the cheese, spice with salt and pepper.
- pour it over the vegetable-tortellini mix and on top add remaining grated cheese (if not enough grate some more).
- bake it in the pre-heated oven on 400 F for about 20-25 minutes until the cheese is slightly getting a golden-brown color.