Tortellini vegetable casserole is not really a typical German recipe but the way to cook them in this recipe, is for sure the German way. It is one of my favorite casseroles. You can vary the dish with different vegetable like carrots, peas, cauliflower, or aubergine. Vary it with different cheese too. Serve with green lettuce or just plain.
Ingredients (serves 3-4) Tortellini Vegetable Casserole
1 medium size onion
1/2 green pepper, 1/2 orange pepper (or red)
1 small zucchini
olive oil, salt, fresh ground black pepper
12 oz or 340 g dried tortellini
1 cup grated cheese (Gouda, pepper jack, cheddar or your favorite cheese)
about 1/2 cup heavy cream
Cooking Instructions Tortellini Vegetable Casserole
- bring water with some salt to a boil and cook tortellini per instructions.
- cut onions and pepper in small cubes, cut zucchini in half and slice it.
- wash broccoli and cut of the upper parts.
- in a skillet heat olive oil, then add onions until transparent.
- add chopped pepper, zucchini, broccoli and saute it for about 5-10 minutes (not too long as the vegetable should not get too soft).
- spice vegetable with salt and pepper.
- place the vegetable mix into an oven proof form, when tortellini are done ad them to the mix and stir gently.
- beat the egg and mix it with heavy cream and 2/3 of the cheese, spice with salt and pepper.
- pour it over the vegetable-tortellini mix and on top add remaining grated cheese (if not enough grate some more).
- bake it in the pre-heated oven on 400 F for about 20-25 minutes until the cheese is slightly getting golden-brown.