The German Almond Crescents can be found in almost every German bakery. In some US German bakeries you might find them as well but if you are not living close to one you can make them at home. The best with a cup of German coffee! Happy Baking!
400 g raw marzipan
200 g powdered sugar Puderzucker
2 egg white
3 drops bitter almond flavor
almonds slices (pref. blanched)
dark unsweetened chocolate (in Germany: Kuvertüre)
– Warm the marzipan slightly by using the micro wave or the oven; that way it’s easier to use.
– Beat egg white until very firm.
– Knead marzipan with powdered sugar, egg white and almond flavor.
– The dough is somewhat sticky. That’s how to handle it:
Wear plastic gloves with some water on it. Use 1 tbsp of dough and form to a ball, then form small crescents. Make sure gloves are wet.
– Turn crescents in grated almonds.
– Pre-heat oven to 375 F (180 C).
– Bake for 12-15 min.
– Melt chocolate in double boiler.
– When it is melted dip the end of each crescent into the chocolate (or both ends).