Cake rolls or Rouladen are very popular in Germany and quite special as you cannot get them in the USA at all unless you find a European bakery. Learn today how to make the raspberry chocolate roll.
You don’t need any special baking utensils for this German cake recipe. If you follow exactly the instructions it will turn out wonderful. There are also some tips on how to roll the base cake in order it can be filled. We want a soft base cake which we also call “biscuit cake”. It has nothing to do with biscuits as you may know.
We recommend that you should have some baking experience to make this roll. Enjoy this wonderful cake with a good cup of coffee. Happy Baking!
For the Filling
250 ml heavy cream
75 g powdered sugar
300 g raspberries, fresh or frozen
powdered sugar for dusting
1 rimmed baking tray 10×15 inches
Make the Base Cake
– Separate eggs.
– Beat egg white very firm.
– In a different bowl beat egg yolks, sugar, vanilla sugar until bubbly.
– Add hot water spoon by spoon.
– Continue beating with a hand mixer until the dough has thickened a bit (this can be for 2-3 min).
– Mix flour with cocoa powder and baking powder – add to the dough, carefully fold it in with a spatula.
– Finally add firm egg white and mix carefully with spatula.
– Use a rimmed baking tray that is layered with a sheet of parchment paper.
– Spread the dough on that a paper and bake in pre-heated oven on 375 F for 15-20 min.
– Sprinkle some sugar on waxed paper that is placed on top of a damp kitchen towel; then invert baked cake on top.
– Remove parchment paper from warm cake. It should come off easily. Trim edges of cake if necessary.
– Roll the dough immediately (important!) and let cool off.
Make the Filling
– By using a stick mixer puree raspberries with powdered sugar.
– Beat heavy cream until firm, then combine with raspberries.
Roll the Cake
Unroll the cool cake carefully, then spread the filling evenly on it.
– Roll it again. The waxed paper will help to roll it.
– Keep at least 1 hour in the fridge before serving.
– Dust with powdered sugar or decorate the roll just before serving.