Schaschlik Barbecue is a popular fast food in the Rheinland and Southern Germany. You can find it at any snack booth, they make it in front of you, serve it on a paper plate with sauce and a roll.
There are 2 variations: You can grill the meat or saute the meat for some hours in a sauce, that contains onions and paprika powder (like Goulash), until the meat is soft. Find the Pot Roasted Schaschlik Recipe here
200 g pork filet and beef filet (meat needs to have low cooking time)
or a mix of 200 g lamb meat (optional), pork filet and beef
200 g veal liver (optional)
100 g German Speck (smoked bacon)
1 green and 1 red pepper
salt, pepper to taste
thyme, 2 garlic cloves
– Cut the meat in small cubes (not too big).
– Rub lamb meat with thyme and garlic.
– Cut Speck, onions and pepper in small pieces, then stick meat and vegetable on a barbecue skewer and brush with olive oil.
– Place them on the barbecue, let them cook for 4-5 minutes evenly on all sides.
– Spice with salt, pepper and thyme.
300 ml water or chicken broth
1 tbsp Honey or to taste
2 tbsp Rübenkraut – Sugar Beet Syrup, optional
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp Worcester sauce
tabasco sauce to taste
2 tbsp apple or spirit vinegar or Balsamico
paprika powder: 1 tbsp mild, 3 tbsp hot
1 tbsp curry powder
2 red pepper
2 small onions, 1 garlic clove
2 tbsp oil
sugar, pepper and salt to taste (Use sugar in very small amounts as the sauce should not be too sweet)
– Peel onion, cut in quarters or smaller. Chop garlic fine.
– Cut pepper in small stripes.
– Heat oil and brown onions, garlic and peppers for 1-2 min.
– Add paprika and fry briefly. Don’t fry too long as it will get bitter in taste. Add vinegar. Simmer briefly.
– Add tomato paste, then fill up with water or broth. Spice to taste.
– Let simmer on low heat until pepper and onions are soft, and the sauce has thickened.
– Spice to taste as needed.
If the sauce is too thick add more broth, is it too thin add more tomato paste.
– Take one heaped tbsp madras curry powder for 100 g ketchup and mix it with some water until it has the desired texture.
– If you like heat the sauce and serve it warm with the skewers.
Serve with fresh rolls, bread or with French Fries.
Alternatively cook the skewers in the extensive sauce for 2 hours on small heat.