The Sunday sweet braided bread is for the German breakfast and brunch and traditionally served Sundays. This German recipe sis using heavy cream as a main ingredient. The cream makes the “Zopf” soft and moist. Easy and simple recipe. Happy Cooking!
500 g flour
1/2 cube yeast or 1 package dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp salt
250 ml milk
125 ml heavy cream
– Warm milk, heavy cream and sugar slightly (it should be just a bit warm! otherwise the yeast will not work).
– Add yeast and mix until dissolved.
– Combine flour with salt, add to the liquid, knead until you get a very smooth dough.
– Place dough in a bowl, cover with a moist cloth, let raise for 2 hours.
– On a baking board sprinkled with flour form a braid, place on a baking tray with parchment paper.
– Whisk egg and spread over the bread..
– Let raise for another hour.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 220 C or 400 F for 30-35 min until golden brown.
Serve when warm with butter.
The video below shows how to make the zopf and braid it.