The season for German Christmas Cookies starts in the so called “Adventszeit”, the 4 weeks before Christmas. The recipe “Adventsschnitten” or advent cookies is a delicious recipe for this time of the year. The cookies are spiced with cinnamon and cloves, and they pair nicely with a cup of Glühwein (mulled wine) or spiced apple cider. Happy Baking!
300g soft butter
5 eggs (medium)
300 g sugar
rum baking essence/flavor – (see below) to taste
400 g all purpose flour
1 package baking powder Dr Oetker – 0.5oz
5 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
100 g Zitronat (candied lemon) – How to make Zitronat – See below
2 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves
200 g hazelnuts and 200g ground hazelnuts
250 g powdered sugar
100 ml dark rum
200 g apricot jam
100 g roasted grated hazelnuts or almonds
– Mix butter until smooth. Add slowly sugar and baking rum while mixing until you get a smooth dough.
– With mixer on highest level add one egg after the other, mix for about 30 seconds.
– Mix flour with baking powder, cocoa and spices. Combine with the dough (mixer on lowest level), then add ground hazelnuts.
– Finally add Zitronat.
– On a greased baking tray (or parchment paper) spread the dough (area of 40 x 30 cm).
– Place a stripe of aluminum foil in front of the dough so it won’t overflow while baking.
– Spread whole hazelnuts on the entire dough, press them gently into the dough.
– Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C or 325 F, bake for about 30 minutes.
Mix powdered sugar with rum and spread it all over the hot cake, let cool off.
Cut cake in cubes.
Spread apricot jam over all edges and roll them in finely grated or chopped hazelnuts or almonds.