The Sweet German Apple Krapfen are like small apple pancakes, or in Swabia we call them “Apfelküchle”. It is an authentic German recipe that is easy to make. It is using the German vanilla pudding. A substitute would be some drops vanilla extract and corn starch. Happy Cooking!
(for 9 pancakes)
40 g sugar
70 g flour
1 package Dr Oetker Vanilla Pudding or 1.5 oz corn starch and 1-2 tsp bourbon vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder Dr Oetker
1 dash salt
60 g quark, optional – How to make Quark –
hint of lemon juice
1 big apple or 2 small ones
clarified butter for frying or just butter
– Mix eggs with sugar and beat until bubbly.
– Combine flour with baking powder and mix well.
– Add to dough with pudding powder, salt, lemon juice, and quark.
– Peel apple, remove core, and grate. Add to dough.
– Heat clarified butter in a non-stick pan, reduce the heat.
– Place 1 tbsp of the dough in the pan, fry on both sides evenly.
– Let apple Krapfen drain on kitchen paper.
– Then sprinkle with a mix of sugar and cinnamon.
Alternatively serve them with apple sauce, ice cream, whipped cream or vanilla sauce.