Summer is the time for BBQs. The best side dish for Bratwurst, steaks or other meat is always a salad. That’s why we feature the German mixed summer salad which is so easy to make and can be easily a whole meal by itself. The dressing is simple but delicious. Happy Cooking!
2 eggs, 2 tomatoes (cherry tomatoes are great too)
1 small iceberg salad or lettuce
1/2 English cucumber
1 red, yellow or green pepper
1 small onion – 1 tsp parsley or chives
4 tbsp olive oil or sunflower oil
2 tbsp vinegar (pref. German)
6 tbsp water
1/2 tsp german mustard
50 g grated cheese
salt, pepper to taste, 1 dash sugar
Boil eggs , place for 10 seconds in cold water, peel and cut in half, then quarters.
– Cut tomatoes in small pieces or slices.
– Peel cucumber, cut in small pieces.
– Clean pepper and cut in small cubes.
– Peel onion and chop finely.
– Lettuce: Wash salad, remove excess water by using a salad spinner. Tear the leaves apart, don’t cut with a knife.
Iceberg salad: Wash leaves, spin dry, then cut into smaller pieces.
– Place all vegetable in a bowl. Keep some tomatoes for decoration. Mix well.
– Add cheese and herbs on top.
– Place eggs and tomatoes around the bowl.
– For the dressing mix all ingredients in a separate bowl or the best in a glass jar with a lid. Mix well or shake the jar.
– Pour over the salad and serve right away
Serve with fresh bread, baguette would be perfect!