German Geschnetzeltes Sliced Pork or just ” Geschnetzeltes” in German means small cut meat, that is served in a creamy sauce. It is a very common German dish and on the menu of many country inns.
It can be made in different meat qualities. The meat is very lean and tender when cut from the filet. You can make it from the Schnitzel meat as well but it will contain a bit more fat.
Important is that the meat will be fried on a high temperature and very briefly because it should stay juicy, and not becoming dry. The sauce or gravy is mostly made out of creme fraiche or heavy cream. Some add a bit of starch to thicken it but adding a rich cream does the same. Enjoy this German dish with Spaetzle or your favorite pasta. Happy Cooking!
500 g stir fry pork meat (or schnitzel meat)
2 tbsp clarified butter or 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 smaller onion
200 g brown or white mushrooms
salt, pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1cup heavy cream or creme fraiche
– Wash the meat under cold water, place on kitchen paper and pat it dry.
– Wash mushrooms, cut them in quarters or slices.
– Chop onion fine.
– Heat clarified butter or oil in a skillet.
– Add onions, saute them until transparent.
– Cut meat in thin stripes.
– Add to onions, and fry on high heat briefly.
– Add mushrooms.
– Reduce heat to low.
– Add the heavy cream or creme fraiche.
– Let simmer on low to medium heat for about 3 minutes until meat is tender.
Serve with your favorite pasta, rice, Spätzle or mashed/fried potatoes.