What can you do when you have so many tomatoes left over from your harvest? We found a German recipe for stuffed tomatoes (or filled tomatoes) – what a great choice for lunch or dinner! You need quite some big tomatoes for this authentic German recipe, and they should not be too soft. Sometimes heirloom tomatoes are wonderful for such recipes. Give it a try. Happy Cooking!
6 big tomatoes (each about 200g)
1 smaller onion
2 tbsp safflower or sunflower oil
300 g ground beef
salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder to taste
dry or fresh Marjoram and Thyme
Some grated Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese
– Wash tomatoes and cut off a lid that you keep.
– With a teaspoon take out the inside of the tomato; chop if needed, and keep aside.
– Chop onion fine.
– Heat oil in a skillet and fry ground beef and onions briefly; add all chopped tomatoes.
– Spice with salt, pepper, paprika, marjoram and thyme to taste.
– Fill the tomatoes and place them in a greased fire proof form.
– Sprinkle on top grated cheese, place tomato lid on top.
– Bake in pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes on 200 C or 350 F.
Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.