In Germany waffles are very popular. The German Waffles are awesome for breakfast, brunch or for coffee and cake in the afternoon, or what we call in German the "Kaffeeklatsch" (that means the usual gossip while sipping a cup of coffee with a piece of cake). In Germany you can get them on every fair or festival, served with powdered sugar, jam, fruit or Nutella. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Waffles
(for about 10 waffles)
250 g flour
125 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3oz - How to make Vanilla sugar -
250 ml milk
1 tbsp baking powder
125 g butter (soft)
some rum, vanilla or lemon flavor (optional)
Baking Instructions German Waffles
- Beat the eggs, then add the butter until the batter is bubbly.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar and some vanilla or (real) rum flavor.
- Mix flour with baking powder, add to dough. If dough is a bit sticky, add some more milk until it is smooth.
- Heat the waffle maker. Scoop dough onto the waffle maker, close it and wait until the waffles are done.
- Keep them warm in the oven before you serve them.
Waffles taste great with some cinnamon. Serve them warm and right from the waffle maker (they get soft if you keep them warm in the oven). In Germany we enjoy them with apple sauce or compotes, Nutella, fresh fruit, ice cream or whipped cream.