If you love sweet apple dishes the Bavarian Apple Turnovers, or Apfelmaultaschen, is the dish to make. It can be varied with Italian plums, and it tastes the best when served with a warm vanilla sauce. Happy Cooking!
300 g flour
1 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp milk
1 tsp salt
125 ml milk
3-4 apples (depends on the size)
1 splash lemon juice
Optional: Cinnamon to taste and/or raisins soaked in apple juice (or brandy) for 5 minutes
sugar as needed
For the Filling
– Peel apples, remove core, grate fine. Don’t cut in pieces. Mix with cinnamon.
– Drip with lemon juice so they wont get brown. Set aside.
Make the Dough
– Place flour into a bowl, add salt.
– Add 1 heaped tbsp butter, egg and some milk to flour, knead dough for about 5 min very thoroughly. Dough should come off the bowl’s edges and should not be sticky.
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Mix 125ml milk with 1 egg, set aside.
– Sprinkle flour on a baking board or smooth surface.
– Roll dough evenly so you get 4 pieces of same size (cut with knife).
– Spread melted butter on each piece, add grated apples. If you use raisins dd them.
– Fold in the sides, then roll each piece.
– Place apple pockets in a greased fire proof form.
– Bake for 10 min then add milk-egg mix over apple turnovers so they are covered. Maybe you need additional milk.
Baking time is 20-30 min.
Serve with Vanilla sauce. How to Make Vanilla Sauce – Go to The RECIPE –