The Bavarian Brauhaus Goulash is an authentic German recipe from Bavaria. For this dish you would use German beer which adds an authentic taste. It is an original Bavarian food specialty and we are happy to provide the recipe for you, so you can make it at home. The recipe is using pork but you can use beef instead. Keep in mind that the cooking time is different when using beef. Happy Cooking!
500 g stew meat, pork or beef
2 tbsp clarified butter
1/2 tsp German mustard
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 medium size onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, optional
1 carrot, grated
200 ml German beer, eg. Pilsner, Lager
600 ml vegetable broth – How to make Vegetable Broth –
salt, pepper, mild paprika powder to taste
1 tbsp creme fraiche or heavy cream (sour cream might be good as well)
Or use 2-3 tbsp of the convenient Goulash Seasoning from EDORA!
– Heat clarified butter in a pan.
– If meat is not already chopped, cut in medium-small cubes.
– Brown meat on all side on high heat for 1-2 min. Spice to taste.
– Chop onions, grate carrot, press garlic through a garlic press.
– When meat has nicely browned and there is no water anymore in the pan, add garlic, onions, carrot, mustard and tomato paste.
– Fry for 2-3 min.
– Add beer, then cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Add the broth.
– Cover skillet and let simmer for about 1 hr (cooking time depends on the meat quality); when using a pressure cooker for 35 min.
– 5 min before cooking time has ended add the cream, and if you like mix 1 tbsp corn starch with cream which will thicken the sauce. Dilute the cornstarch with some cold water and add to the meat.
Serve with Spätzle, mashed or boiled potatoes, dumplings or Bavarian Serviettenknoedel.