There must be hundreds of apple cake recipes in Germany. Today I want to feature the Classic German apple Cake made out of base cake (Mürbeteig, short cake), a filling and a top, decorated with almonds and cookies. It takes some time , about 1 hr 45 min until it’s done but it’s worth it! Enjoy this cake with a nice cup of German coffee such as from Tschibo. Happy Baking!
Base Cake (Mürbeteig)
400 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
200 g butter
150 g sugar
1 dash salt
75 g raisins
2 tbsp rum or rum flavor
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 liter apple juice (unsweetened)
75 g almond slivers
1-2 tbsp Vanilla pudding or cornstarch and vanilla extract (depends on how much liquid you get)
2.5 lbs apples
50 g powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
powdered sugar for dusting and almond slices for decoration
Make Make Base Cake (Mürbeteig)
– Mix flour with baking powder
– Make flakes from the butter.
– Combine flour, butter, eggs and salt and swiftly knead with the hands until you get a smooth dough.
– Form to a ball, wrap in plastic foil and place for 30 min in fridge.
Make the Apple Filling
– Soak raisins in rum (or apple juice with rum flavor)
– Peel apples, remove core, cut in quarters, then small pieces. Drizzle with lemon juice.
– Bring apple juice to a brief boil, add apple pieces and 50 g sugar. Let simmer for about 5 min on low heat.
– Mix pudding powder in some water, whisk well. Add to the apples. Bring to a brief boil (should have thickened the liquid).
– Add raisins and almonds, mix well.
– Pre-heat oven to 200 C / 390 F convection (350F regular oven).
Use some dough for the decorative forms on top of the cake (roll cake and cut out with cookie cutter).
– Roll 2/3 of the dough flat so you get a circle of 32 cm (12 inches) diameter.
– Grease a 26 cm (10 inches) springform and dust with flour.
– Place the circle on bottom of spring form. Press dough around the rim.
– With a fork poke the dough several times.
– Add apples on top.
– Roll remaining dough to a circle with 10 inches diameter. Place this circle on top of apples. Poke with a fork several times.
– Bake for about 50-60 min. Bake decorative forms for about 10 min.
– For the glaze mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
– When cake is done spread a thin layer of the glaze over the top.Let dry.
– Dust with powdered sugar (optional).
– Decorate with sliced almonds and the cut out forms (picture shows leaves).