Do you know the Golden toast bread? The was first toast bread in Germany, and it started in 1963. The German Golden Toast bread is unfortunately not available here in the USA. The good thing is, we found a recipe for making this bread. It’s super easy! This toast is wonderful for brunch or breakfast or making delicious sandwiches! Happy Baking!
18 g or 0.6oz salt
100 ml water, cold
12 g fresh yeast or 2 pck dry yeast (1 pck for 500 g flour)
1 kg – 2.2lb – flour, all purpose, unbleached
1.5 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp (20 g) corn starch, organic
1/2 stick (60 g) butter, very soft
500 ml milk, cold
Original recipe uses 20 g back malt which is roasted, ground barley, malt coffee can be substitute or don’t use it at all. Baking malt is an enhancer for yeast.
1 (0.6 ounce) cube of Fresh Compressed/Cake Yeast equals 1 envelope (or packet) of Active Dry Yeast, Instant Yeast, Rapid Rise Yeast, Fast Rising or Bread Machine Yeast, which equals 2 1/4 teaspoons or 7 grams.
– Mix salt with water, add yeast, mix well. Let sit for at least 30 min. Cover with kitchen cloth.
– Add remaining ingredients, butter at last. Knead for 10 min the dough so you get a medium firm dough. It can be still somewhat sticky but that is okay. Don’t add more flour.
– Cover with foil or a kitchen cloth and let sit for 2-3 hours. Dough should increase to double amount.
– On a floured surface knead the dough briefly.
– Transfer dough to a greased and large baking pan. Dough should fill the form half. If you have too much dough fill it in 2 or 3 different forms. You need extra space because the dough will raise again. So don’t squeeze it in one pan.
– Preheat oven to 400F.
– Cover the pan with a kitchen cloth and let raise again, dough volume should be visibly more.
– Place in oven with a fire proof cup that is filled with water.
– Bake for 35-40 min.
Place on cooling rack and let cool off.