This dish reminds of the Italian Bolognese sauce but in fact it is not quite the same. We call it German Haschee and it is a very popular dish in Germany. It’s easy to make and you can vary it by adding different vegetables or serve with your favorite pasta.
The word “Haschee” comes from French hachée or Hachis, from hacher which means chop.
It refers to warm dishes containing fried or boiled ground beef or small cut meat combined in a sauce. This dish is perfect for a meal for many people or for a party. Happy Cooking!
1 kg ground beef or half beef and pork
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil or sunflower oil
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp paprika powder mild
2 tbsp paprika powder, hot
1 tbsp oregano, dried
salt and pepper
1 dash sugar
instant vegetable or beef broth for 1/2 liter water – How to make Beef Broth –
30 g butter
1 tbsp mustard, medium
1 tbsp flour
150 ml water
1. Peel onions and garlic and chop fine. The more onions you use, the more juicy the haschee will be. Rule is, per onion one garlic clove.
2. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add onions and garlic, saute until light brown.
Add 30g of butter and mix well. Spice with some salt.
Brown while stirring continuously. The darker the onions, the more rich and fuller the taste will be.
Remove onions from the pan and set aside.
3. Heat another 3 tbsp olive oil in the same non-stick pan, add the ground beef. Fry until the meat looks greyish. With a wooden spoon pound the meat so you get small pieces. A metal whisk is good to use.
Add fried onions and garlic to the meat and mix well. Fry for another 5 min, while mixing. Add 1/2 liter broth and bring to a brief boil.
4. Spice with 1 tbsp oregano, paprika hot, paprika mild, and black pepper to taste. Mix well. Mix in mustard and tomato paste. Add a dash of sugar. Let cook for 20 min on medium heat, stir frequently. Spice to taste with salt, black pepper and paprika.
5. Remove pan from the heat.
6. Mix 1 tbsp flour with half a cup of water, whisk until the water is milky. Add 3 tbsp of the liquid from the haschee. Pour into the haschee, bring to a brief boil. You should get a thicker sauce. Cook for another 2-3 min.
Serve with your favorite pasta.