Hazelnut Christmas Cookies from Trier – traditional and famous recipe for hazelnut cookies as they make them in the German city Trier. They sell them every year at the Christmas market. Here is the recipe so you can get a piece of the “German Heimat” to your American home. Happy Baking!
– Beat butter (soft) and sugar until foamy.
– Add ground hazelnuts and flour; you will get a dough that you roll on a baking board that is covered with flour. If the dough should be sticky add a little bit of flour.
– Cut out cookies with a star shaped cookie cutter, and place them on a baking tray layered with baking paper.
– Beat egg white with powdered sugar until firm; spread on each cookie.
– If you use baking wafers place the wafer on the cookie before baking.
– Bake them for 15 minutes on 175 C or 350 F.
– Cut the remaining wafers with a sharp knife (cutting knife) so they match the star form.