The season for German Christmas Cookies starts in the "Adventszeit", the 4 weeks before Christmas. The recipe "Adventsschnitten" or advent cookies starts the Christmas season. The cookies are spiced with cinnamon and cloves, and they go nicely with a cup of Gluehwein (mulled wine) or spiced apple cider. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Christmas Cookies Adventsschnitten
300g soft butter or margarine
300 g sugar
rum baking oil - Rum Essence (Esenta de Rom) Dr. Oetker, 30 ml bottle
400 g all purpose flour
1 package baking powder Dr Oetker - 0.5oz
5 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
100 g zitronat (candied lemon) - How to make Zitronat from Scratch - Or purchase it here: Candied Diced Lemon Peel, 8 oz.
2 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves
200 g hazelnuts and 200g ground hazelnuts
250 g powdered sugar
100 ml rum
200 g apricot jam
100 g roasted grated hazelnuts
Baking Instructions German Christmas Cookies Adventsschnitten
- Mix butter until smooth. Add slowly sugar and baking rum while mixing until you get a smooth dough.
- With mixer on highest level add one egg after the other, mix for about 30 seconds.
- Mix flour with baking powder, cocoa and spices. Combine with the dough (mixer on lowest level), then add ground hazelnuts.
- Finally add Zitronat.
- On a greased baking tray (or parchment paper) spread the dough (area of 40 x 30 cm).
- Place a stripe of aluminum foil in front of the dough so it won't overflow while baking.
- Spread whole hazelnuts on the entire dough, press them gently into the dough.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C or 325 F, bake for about 30 minutes.
Mix powdered sugar with rum and spread it all over the hot cake, let it cool off.
Cut cake in cubes. Spread apricot jam over all edges and roll them in grated hazelnuts.