Rum Pot or Rumtopf in German is a traditional mix out of rum and fruit that is enjoyed during the winter months. You would start in May with strawberries and add more and more fruit during the summer months. You can make a tropical rum pot if you like and use only tropical fruit like mango, kiwi, pineapple or papaya. Or make a red fruit Rumtopf by using only red fruit (includes red currant berries). The recipe has many variations. When the fruit is soaked with rum after 2-3 months you would serve it as a dessert with ice cream or pudding or add it to cakes or pastry as described in the recipe Rum Pot Muffins – Find it here.
If you don’t have a special Rumtopf you can use a ceramic fermentation pot.
Ingredients Rum Pot or Rumtopf
500 g small strawberries
500 g sour cherries with pit
500 g cherries, no pit
500 g peaches, without skin, cut in quarters
500 g apricots, no pit, cut in halves
500 g raspberries
500 g pears, cut in pieces
500 g pineapple, cut in pieces
2 vanilla beans
2 cinnamon sticks
2875 g sugar
2 bottles rum 54 %
Cooking Instructions Rum Pot or Rumtopf
Starting in May with strawberries, get a large stone pot with lid (5l) ready; rinse it with vinegar water and with boiling water; dry it thoroughly.
- Wash strawberries and pat dry with kitchen paper, remove stems and leaves.
- Place them with 500 g sugar into a bowl (make layers) and place it covered for 1 hour in the fridge covered.
- Now fill them into the pot and add as much rum so that the fruit is covered (for 2cm); take a plate and cover the fruit; it prevents that they will float at the surface.
- Cover the pot and keep it at a cool place; stir now and then gently the first 14 days with a spoon.
- Add more and more fruit during the summer; keep ratio 250 g sugar for 500 g fruit. Always add rum so that the fruit is always covered very well.
- Add vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks.
After 2-3 months the fruit is soaked with rum and can be used for desserts, and cakes or the Muffins – Go to Recipe Rum Pot Muffins
Don’t use this Fruit
Oranges or lemons (they are acidic and make the Rumptopf sour)
Bananas and melons (they turn ‘mushy’ and make the Rumtopf watery)
Apples ( will not improve either in taste or texture by the rum and sugar mix)
A Place to find a Rumtopf in the USA