The German dish Asparagus gratin with ham is a light asparagus dish that can be an appetizer or a main dish served with boiled potatoes. Preferably made with white asparagus but green asparagus would be suitable too. We don’t recommend to use asparagus from the jar for this dish. Happy Cooking!
1kg white or green asparagus
1/8 liter water (use the water from cooking asparagus) – 1 package Hollandaise sauce (such as Knorr, McCormick or similar)
50 g butter
2 wedges cooking cheese like from laughing cow or the German cheese Hochland, alternatively cream cheese.
lemon juice, nutmeg to taste
4 slices cooked ham or prosciutto
– Prepare and boil asparagus; keep 1/8 l of the cooking water if you use the sauce from the package.
– Make the sauce per instructions – bring to a boil while whisking – or make it from scratch – GO TO the Hollandaise RECIPE
– Bit by bit add butter and cheese continuing whisking; spice with lemon juice and nutmeg.
– Place asparagus in a fire proof form, pour sauce over it and bake for 20 min on 350 F.
– Roll the ham and serve it with the asparagus gratin on a warm plate.
Serve with boiled potatoes.