These Almond Cookies are easy to make, and are very popular German cookies for Christmas and the holidays. In Germany we have a very strong Christmas baking tradition. Surprise your friends and family with this German Christmas cookie. Happy Baking!
(makes 50-60 cookies)
zest of 1 organic lemon
200 g butter
100 g sugar
300 g flour
1 egg, medium
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
– Grate half of the lemon.
– Cut butter in small pieces.
– Knead butter, sugar, flour, lemon zest with the kneading hooks of the mixer, then use the hands to knead until you get a smooth dough.
– Wrap dough in foil and keep in fridge for at least 30 min.
– If almonds are not blanches, place them in boiling water, bring to brisk boil, then place them in cold water. Remove the skin; with a small knife cut the almond in half.
– Add flour on a baking board and roll the dough thin (3-4mm) and cut out different shapes.
– Layer a baking tray with parchment paper, place them on top.
– Mix egg yolk with milk, brush it on top of cookies.
– Place on each cookie one half almond.
– Bake in preheated oven on 390 F or 200 C for about 10 min (convection 350F).
Repeat with remaining cookie dough. It is recommended to use 2 baking trays.