Find out today how to make a special salad, the endive salad with a German dressing. Endive is a leaf vegetable which is bitter-leaved such as radicchio, puntarelle, and Belgian endive. For this recipe the curly endive, or frisée is used. This type has narrow, green, curly outer leaves. It is sometimes called chicory in the United States and is called chicorée frisée in French. Because of the bitterness the dressing must be balancing it out.
1 whole endive
1 small onion
150 g Speck cubes, pancetta would work too – Optional
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp mustard
3 tbsp sunflower oil (taste neutral)
1 dash sugar, 1 splash lemon, hint of nutmeg
salt, pepper to taste
– Cut the leaves into fine stripes then wash.
– Place the salad into warm water which will remove the bitterness.
– Peel onion and chop fine.
– Place Speck cubes into a pan without any grease and brown them.
– For the dressing mix all ingredients well, and spice to taste.
– Für die Salatsauce alle anderen Zutaten miteinander vermischen und abschmecken.
– Spin the salad so it will be dry (use a salad spinner).
– Mix with the dressing.
– Add the Speck cubes on top.
2 medium sized potatoes
1 small-medium onion
1 tbsp taste neutral oil such as sunflower oil
40 ml heavy cream
2 tbsp vinegar
1 dash sugar or to taste
pepper, salt to taste
Lovage (Liebstöckel)- optional, alternatively you can use some drops of the liquid Maggi
1 tbsp chopped parsley
– Boil potatoes, let cool off, peel and cut them into very small pieces or grate them. Some mash the potatoes but this can result in a mushy salad. The idea is that the potatoes remove the bitterness. You also can place the leaves in warm water which helps to remove the bitter taste.
– Remove hard parts from salad, wash leaves then cut in fine stripes.
– Peel onion and chop very fine.
– Chop lovage fine.
– For the dressing mix all ingredients.
– Spice with sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
– Add the dressing just before you serve the salad.