There are so many delicious cake recipes in Germany! Find out today how to make the German Apricot Cheese Cake. The recipe is using quark which is a German curd cheese that you can find now in many US super markets that carry the brand “Wunderquark” (see below how to purchase it online). Alternatively make quark from scratch or use a substitute:
– Fromage blanc
– Three parts ricotta cheese and one part sour cream, or
– Equal parts of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt
– Use Fage 5% Yoghurt
The most well-stocked grocery stores carry semolina, and Bob’s Red Mill is a reliable brand. Whole Foods Markets typically stock it. Or find it on Amazon (see bottom).
More info on Semolina from Bob’s red Mill: What is Semolina
If you cannot find apricots you can use peaches as well but make sure that they are not sugared with high fructose syrup or any other artificial sweetener. The cake will be baked in a deep baking pan. Workable are the disposable pans. Happy Baking!
1 jar apricots (850ml), unsweetened (alternatively peaches)
125 g butter, soft
200 g sugar
juice and zest from 1 organic lemon
75 g semolina, fine
1 package vanilla pudding – or 1.5 oz cornstarch and natural vanilla flavor
750 g quark – How to make Quark
200 ml heavy cream
1 dash salt
1 package baking powder – 0.5oz (not baking soda)
2 tbsp powdered sugar
– Drain apricots and let drip off very well.
– Separate eggs.
– Mix butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest until creamy.
– Add egg yolks one after the other, and mix.
– Mix semolina, pudding powder and baking powder, add to the dough.
– Add quark and heavy cream in portions, mix well.
– Beat egg white until firm, add in 2-3 portions to the dough, fold in carefully with a spatula.
– Grease a deep baking pan (2 inches deep, size 12x18x2 inches) with some butter, sprinkle with bread crumbs or some semolina. Or layer with parchment paper.
– Pour dough into pan, place apricots on top.
– Bake in pre-heated oven for 40-50 min on 175 C or 350 F (time in convection oven will be reduced)