German is the country for stews and “Eintopf” as we say in German. Everything is cooked in one pot. The German Beef Onion stew is similar to the German dish Goulash but is not quite the same. You cook this dish in the oven for 90 min; the meat should be very tender. The stew tastes the best with pasta or dumplings as a side dish. If you like add some lemon zest and red wine which brings some Mediterranean flavor to the dish. Happy Cooking!
3 medium size onions
4 tbsp oil or clarified butter
2 tbsp paprika powder, mild
1 kg (2 lb) beef stew, cut in cubes
black pepper, salt to taste
2 garlic cloves (optional)
2 bay leaves
1/2 liter beef or vegetable broth – How to make Vegetable Broth – or alternatively purified water
– How to make Beef Broth –
splash of red wine, dry (optional)
1 tbsp lemon zest, optional
– Pre-heat oven to 430 F.
– Peel all onions, cut in rings.
– In a fire proof skillet (dutch oven) melt oil, add onion rings and chopped garlic, fry until onions look transparent.
– Spice meat with paprika, salt and pepper, add to onions.
– Brown meat on high heat for 1 minute.
– Add bay leaves and 3/4 of lemon zest plus half of the broth/water.
– Place the pan into the oven – Alternatively you can cook the stew also on the stove, cooking time should be about the same.
– Leave meat in oven covered with a lid for 1 hour, add remaining hot broth and wine.
– Cook for another 30 min.
Serve with potato dumplings or pasta – Go to the recipe for Potato Dumplings Half and half –