The German Goulash soup is a traditional soup especially served on New years Eve, the night where people everywhere are celebrating the last hours of the old year. In Germany this evening is called “Silvesterabend”, and everyone throws a party with firework and a “midnight soup”. The tradition is to serve a soup shortly after midnight, and in many cases it will be a hot “Gulaschsuppe”.
The Goulash soup is a very popular soup in Germany throughout the year. You can get it as a snack or as fast food from the street booths or Take Aways, and in the most restaurants. Mostly you would eat it with a German roll, a Broetchen. French baguette with butter is the alternative if you cannot get the German bread. Happy Cooking!
1,5 kg stew meat (pork and beef mix or just beef)
1 kg potatoes
4 tbsp tomato paste (from can or tube)
4 smaller onions
2 red pepper, 2 garlic gloves
2 celery stalks sliced, 1/4 celery root cut in cubes, 1 carrot in cubes
3-4 liter beef broth – How to make Beef Broth from Scratch –
1-2 cups red wine or to taste (optional)
some clarified butter or taste neutral oil for frying
Spices: salt, black pepper, sweet and mild paprika powder (at least 2-3 tbsp), caraway seeds (optional), Worcester sauce (optional)
1 bay leave
1-2 tbsp tomato paste or concentrate
flour (1-2 tsp)
– Cut the meat in small pieces; chop onions and garlic gloves; wash and chop the soup greenery in smaller pieces.
– In a big pot melt butter or ghee, add the onions and garlic, fry them briefly, then add meat and after 1 minute the soup greenery, all on high heat until the pores of the meat are closed.
– Powder flour over it; add tomato puree, and red wine plus the beef broth. Add bay leave.
– Let boil on low heat for 1-2 hours or even longer depending on the meat quality (the meat has to be very tender and soft).
– Peel potatoes and cut them in small cubes; red pepper as well.
– Add potatoes and red pepper 20 minutes before the soup is done.
– Spice to taste. If the soup seems to be too thick add more broth; if the soup is too thin add more tomato puree.
– Remove the bay leave before serving.
Serve with freshly baked baguette bread.