German Style Eggnog or Eierpunsch in German is a popular seasonal, holiday and winter drink. Some say it makes an excellent New Years Eve drink. You can either make it from scratch or use bottled egg liquor. Happy Cooking!
1 bottle white wine, dry (750 ml)
4 eggs (or 8 egg yolks)
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp or one packet of vanilla sugar (or 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract)
1 dash cinnamon
250 ml orange juice or black tea
some lemon juice
50ml dark rum, brandy or whiskey (optional)
– Prepare the black tea and let cool off.
– Whisk sugar into the eggs (or egg yolks) and add a little cold white wine, then beat vigorously.
– Add the vanilla sugar to the mix and pour in the remaining white wine, cinnamon, the cloves, lemon juice and if you use tea or orange juice, add it too.
– If you like mix in the rum.
– Transfer to a pot and warm slowly, so on lower heat. Don’t bring to a boil. You remove it from the stove when some foam occurs on the surface.
– Remove the cloves.
Serve hot and foamy in a mug and if you like top it with whipped cream and a ginger biscuit.
Tip: You can also use red wine for this recipe, however do not add tea to the mixture (servings for this version will vary).
Fast Version German Style Eggnog
1 bottle egg liquor 750 ml – How to make Egg Liqueur –
1/2 liter white wine, sweet
1/2 liter orange juice
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
Instructions: Place all ingredients into a large pot and warm, don’t bring to boil.
Top with some whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.