This is one of my favorite cakes! The delicious cake called German Mandarine Orange Sour Cream Cake – in German we call it Schmandkuchen. “Schmand” is the equivalent to the American sour cream that will be used for this cake. It is used in baking because it is not curdling by the heat while baking. You will love this cake. If you are busy and you don’t have that much time, there is a convenient German baking mix to make exactly this cake (see below). And it tastes so good! Happy Baking!
10.6 oz – 300g- all purpose flour
3.5 oz (100g) confectioners sugar
2 tsp baking powder Dr Oetker
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 medium egg yolks
1/2 cup (120g) soft butter
2 1/8 cups (500ml) milk
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
2.8 oz (80g) organic cornstarch
2 tsp vanilla extract
21 oz (600g) sour cream (in German it is Schmand)
12 oz (350g) mandarin oranges, canned and drained
Do you Love Baking Mixes? LoveGermanFood.com has a delicious and easy to use
Make the Base Cake
– Combine sifted flour, confectioners sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl.
– Add vanilla extract, egg yolks, and butter. With a hand mixer mix well until you get a smooth dough (if the dough should get crumbly just add some water).
– Form a ball out of the the dough, wrap in a sheet of plastic wrap, and keep in fridge for 30 min.
Make the Filling
– Combine milk with sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and sour cream. It should be of thick consistence without being clumpy.
– Set aside.
– Drain the mandarin oranges.
– Preheat oven to 340°F (170°C).
– Use a spring form of 10 inches diameter (25cm) and line with parchment paper.
– Remove base dough from fridge, unwrap and roll 2/3 of the dough so it will fit into the form.
– Form out of remaining dough a log which is used to be placed around the edges of the spring form.
– With a fork poke the dough several times.
– Place half of the mandarin oranges on the base dough then pour the filling on top.
– Add remaining ones on top.
– Bake for about 60-70 min until the cake has set.
– Remove from oven and let cool off on a cooling rack.
– Release form when completely cooled off and not earlier.
Vary the cake by using sour cherries or apricots.
VIDEO USING THE BAKING MIX