The German Potato Cake from Hessen is something to try. Germany is the country for all kinds of potato recipes like the USA for corn! This potato cake is after a local recipe from Hessen. You just need the right potatoes. We recommend to use Golden as they are more waxy than the Russet potatoes. And we always use organic potatoes. Happy Baking!
500 g potatoes – waxy like golden potatoes
250 g sugar
15 tbsp lemon juice
lemon zest from 1,5 lemons
50 g chopped almonds
1 tbsp semolina
1-2 tbsp bread crumbs (natural)
– Peel potatoes, cook them until semi done (add no salt); then grate them.
– Separate eggs, beat egg white until firm, then add half of the sugar and continue beating.
– Mix egg yolks with remaining sugar and beat them until foamy.
– Wash lemons thoroughly and grate peel.
– Mix lemon zest with juice, chopped almonds and semolina; add to egg yolks.
– Add potatoes and finally firm egg white.
– Grease a spring form and sprinkle with bread crumbs; add dough.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 175 C or 350 F for about 90 minutes. Cover top of cake when it should get too brown at the end of baking time.
– Place on baking grid, let cool off then dust with powdered sugar. If you like a patter on the cake use a stencil.
I love your site and all the recipes. Thank you.