This German potato celery salad is a light and healthy German salad not just for the barbecue season. It is a great salad as a side dish or even a main dish served with fresh bread. You will be surprised how easy it is to make. The recipe is using sliced sausages as an ingredient which is optional. If you like to add sausages you can add Wiener or Frankfurter sausages or Bologna. Happy Cooking!
350 g potatoes, organic, pref. Gold potatoes
250 g celery
2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp vinegar
1/8 l vegetable broth, instant – How to make Vegetable Broth –
salt, pepper to taste
1 tbsp mustard
2 tbsp lemon juice
2-3 tbsp parsley and/or chives, chopped
2 Wiener, Frankfurter Sausages (optional
– Boil the potatoes with the skin.
– Peel onion and chop fine.
– Wash celery, cut in thin slices.
– Saute onion and celery in oil.
– Dressing: Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, the broth, and spice with salt, pepper.
– When potatoes are done, peel them while they are hot. Poke the potato on a fork and remove peel with a knife.
– Cut into fine slices.
– Add the sliced potatoes to the dressing. Mix well.
– Cut chives/parsley fine, add to the salad.
– If you use sausages: Heat sausages slowly in water, cut them in slices and combine with salad.
Serve with fresh bread and butter.
I remember my German step-father’s German potato salad, and he made his with no broth, but oil and vinegar – I’ve never found anyone that makes it like that since…