Show your love with the German Valentine’s Heart cake. It is great for Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day. All you need is a heart shaped form which we have seen at ALDI this year! Or find such a form on Amazon.
There is nothing better than a home made gift to express your love. Get your baking forms out and try this delicious heart shaped cake. For this cake you can use a heart shaped form or make a template out of paper and place it on the baked biscuit cake, then cut it out with a very sharp knife. Your Valentine will love this cake.
For the Biscuit Base
150 g sugar
1 dash salt
100 g flour
1 tbsp baking powder (Dr Oetker, no baking soda)
For the Filling
6 sheets gelatine
400 g frozen raspberries
200 g creme fraîche
400 ml heavy cream
1 package cake glaze Dr. Oetker, red (see substitute below)
100 g roasted almond slices
Make the Biscuit Cake
– Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees C or
– Grease the bottom of a baking form (round or heart shaped).
– Separate eggs, beat the egg white until firm.
– Mix egg yolks with 90 g sugar and the salt; beat until foamy using the double boiler method.
– Carefully mix in the firm egg white. Mix baking powder with flour and powder it over the egg mix and mix it carefully.
– Fill the dough into the form and bake it for 30 minutes.
– Let biscuit cake cool off for 5 minutes, release from form, and place it on a cooling grid.
– Let cool off completely, then cut it horizontal in 2 halves.
NOTE: If you make it in a regular form place the heart template on top and cut out around the edges. Then cut horizontally!
Make the Filling
– Soak gelatin, defrost berries. Drain them if there is excess water.
– Puree 200 g of the berries and mix with 60 g sugar (press it through a sieve or use a stick mixer but the seeds will be still there, they will be only removed with the sieve method).
– Add creme fraiche and mix well.
– Press all water out of the gelatin and combine with the berries.
– Beat heavy cream until firm.
– Before the berry cream will be firm, add the whipped cream and mix with a spatula.
– Spread half of the whipped cream on the lower heart piece; place second part on top and spread remaining cream over it.
– Add remaining whole raspberries on top and keep an edge of 1 inch (2cm).
– Make the cake glaze per instructions and pour it over the berries.
– Beat remaining heavy cream until firm.
– Spread 2 third of the whipped cream around the outer edges of the cake where you would place the almond slices.
– Fill remaining cream into a frosting bag and squeeze little flowers within the 2cm wide edge around the raspberries.
– Decorate the edges around the cake with almond slices. Press them gently around the cake.
Make the Red Glaze