After the rich holidays a simple salad would help to reduce the calories. The German Winter Salad is a combination of Red Cabbage, apples and carrots, perfected with a simple oil and vinegar dressing. Happy Cooking!
1 smaller red cabbage
3 slightly sour apples
4 small-medium carrots
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tbsp chives
1 hand full walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp sunflower oil and 3 tbsp vinegar (eg apple, raspberry flavor)
salt, pepper, sugar to taste
– Remove old leaves from red cabbage, cut in half and remove the white part. Cut in quarters.
– Use half of the red cabbage and cut in fine stripes. Wrap remaining red cabbage in a moist kitchen cloth, keep in fridge, it stays good for at least 10 days.
– Peel carrots and cut in Julienne style (fine stripes).
– Apples need to be peeled, quartered and seeds removed.Cut in fine stripes.
– Mix apples with the lemon juice.
– Chop chives.
– Combine red cabbage, apples, carrots, walnuts and chives in a bowl.
– In a separate bowl mix oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and a dash of sugar. Combine with salad.
– Mix well and let sit for 5 minutes before serving this salad with some fresh bread.